Sunday, December 20, 2009

What is your best german recipe?

my heritage is german/swiss, but i have never eaten german food...can you share with me some recipes to try that do not contain pork? thanks!!What is your best german recipe?
My heritage is german/greek so I know a few recipes for german cooking as well has having lived in Germany. There is always Rouladen, it's basically a meat roll. take a piece of round steak and pound it out some(this is mostly just to tenderize it) spread some brown mustard or german mustard on one side of the meat. Then take some thinly sliced onions and lay that down; next place a dill pickle at one end of the meat and roll it up. Secure with a toothpick and roll in some flour. Place 2 tablespoons of oil in a frying pan and brown the Rouladen on all sides. Then once browned pour water in frying pan so that it covers the meat half way. Cover and simmer for about 20 minutes or so. (I'm sorry none of this is an exact measurement for me since I learned to cook it from a german woman who basically told me to do what i'm telling you). As it simmers the liquid will thicken.





I usually serve mine with Spaetzle and roter Kohl(sweet and sour red cabbage)What is your best german recipe?
I don't eat Germans
Here's a German inspired recipe:


Smoked Beef Sausage with sauerkraut:


In one heavy skillet, brown one smoked sausage (I use Hillshire Farms), cut into large pieces.


Cover, turn heat to low.


In another skillet, brown one onion over low heat in oil or butter.


Add:


one pound of fresh sauerkraut, drained.


teaspoon caraway seeds


1/4 cup dark brown sugar


1 small apple, cored and sliced


2 cups beef broth.


Bring to a boil, cover, turn down and allow to simmer for one hour or more.





Turn sausage, adding beef broth if dried out.


When sauerkraut is hot and cooked down, serve with browned sausage.


Cold lettuce and pickled beet salad is traditional with this kind of meal.


Enjoy!
I stayed with German families when I was a child. Some of the earliest things I leart to make were





Quark mixed with rum and orange and lemon juice.





Start with 1kg ';Quark'; this is called curd in English and may be sold as a low fat soft cheese. It is pure white and very mild. It doesn't have the rubbery lumps of cottage cheese.





Stir in the juice of 3-4 oranges and and 1 lemon and enough sugar to suit your taste. Then stir in some rum to taste. It was more than just a sauce as it was served in equal quantities as the fruit. (They had home preserved cherries.)





It is eaten with stewed fruit (unsweetened canned fruit would make a good substitute.)





Egg soup





No one was allowed to leave the house undertaking a journey without this soup being served to the traveller at the last minute.





Heat some good flavoured chicken stock. (where I live you can buy this in tubs at the supermarket). Whisk an egg in a little jar.





When the bouillon is boiling hot, stir in the whisked egg, so it forms little strings of cooked egg in the soup.





I think this was made as much to show the traveller that he or she was loved by the cook as for any other reason.





Apple Crumble cake - Streusel Kuch





spread a layer of cake mix - like a victoria sponge with twice the flour. It neds to be more robust to support the fruit





Cut the cored and peeled apples into crescent shapes and place in rows on top of the cake mix.





Mix up a quantity of crumble - flour, sugar and butter. Use your fingers or a food processor to make crumbs. Scatter these on the cake and bake in 350F or 180C oven for 1/2 to 3/4 hr.





I still enjoy these simple foods, because they remind me of the kind families who welcomed into their midst, so that I could learn to speak their language.





Good luck
German chocolate cake...Erm Venersinnzle (the traditional is made from veal) Gingerbread...
What you really need is German-American food (I'm assuming you are in the US; if not, this won't help much), which is to say Pennsylvania German, which most people call Pennsylvania Dutch. It's not Dutch but German.





I have my grandmother's recipes for a few things, and a cook book I got from a tourist place near Lancaster, PA, that is an exact reprint of the old (about 1900) red cover one my grandmother used. I think that red cover one is still in my storage. I sure hope so. I THINK the one in the link below is the same one, but just from the cover, I'm not sure. Maybe you want to write and ask them when it was originally published, because I know it was already old when my grandmother used it in the 1950s, so it may go back to the 1930s or earlier.





The PA Dutch (sorry, but that's what people call us) do use a lot of pork, but they also use beef and chicken and turkey and whatever else is readily available. We are talking the rich farmland of Pennsylvania here, which can grow a lovely wide variety of foods. Smoked meats, quite a lot, and preserved in various other ways, such as sausage and scrapple. Much, but not all, of those preserved meats are pork or ham, but much of the fresh is beef.





The recipes I have are for desserts: shoo fly pie and apple pan dowdy, or dowdie. I have posted them on my 360 page, and there's a public link to it on my profile here. But my recipe box also contains recipes for chow chow (pickled mixed vegetables not very much like the non-PA Dutch foods by that name that tend to use mustard), and pickled eggs and beets (drop peeled hard-cooked eggs into a jar full of pickled beets and juice. Lots of bars have them), and pepper cabbage (also pickled; the pepper is green bell pepper, except for a very small amount of black pepper).





And then there's the jams, jellies and apple butter, and apple cider and apple just about everything you can imagine, because lovely apples grow in southeastern Pennsylvania.
Sauerbraten...which is made with beef. Loose translation=sour beef. I cheat %26amp; use a prebottled marinade called Mrs. Minnick's Sauerbraten Mix, which is made in Baltimore, MD. I usually have my husband pick up 4-5 bottles when he's in that area. You just brown 2-3 lbs cubed beef, add meat %26amp; simmer for 1 hour, add a few gingersnaps, %26amp; I make drop dumplings out of Bisquick, add them to the pot, %26amp; cook for another 10 minutes or so. It's an acquired taste, but it quickly left me wanting more. There was a website, but it doesn't seem to be working today, however I will list it as my source. Happy Eating!
Well, for you, a woman, take 1 small young firm German man, dip him in beer and sauerkraut, then dive right in. As long as his der wienerschnitzle is in order, it should be a tasty dish for you.
You're setting yourself up for a lot of rude ';jewish'; jokes...





Please rephase your question...





***

No comments:

Post a Comment